We rely heavily on volunteers who give their time to help us fulfill our mission to feed the hungry. Without the thousands of volunteers each year, the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank would be unable to provide food to the many children, seniors and families facing hunger in our community. Still, many of our new volunteers have questions regarding the process. Please see below for many frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers. We hope this allows for a smoother process. If you still have questions or concerns, please contact the Food Bank at 225-359-9940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will I do as a volunteer?
- Help us sort and categorize all non-perishable food items to immediately help those who are hungry! This volunteer activity involves checking dates on food, moderate lifting and walking in our warehouse. It is a fun and lively environment and great exercise too!
When can I volunteer?
- Monday- Friday 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Saturday- 8 a.m.- 12 p.m.
- Click here for a list of volunteer shift opportunities.
Do I need to register to volunteer in advance?
- Yes. Please click here to register.
Who can volunteer?
- All youth volunteers must return a completed and signed permission slip prior to their first volunteer shift. A permission slip should be updated by the parent/guardian once per year.
Warehouse Activities: minimum age for volunteers is 14 years old or 10-13 years old may volunteer if accompanied by an adult age 18 or older.
Mobile Distributions: minimum age for volunteers is 18 years old.
Vince Ferachi Community Garden: minimum age for volunteers is 14 years old.
Children younger than 10 years old are allowed to volunteer in the warehouse on Family Night. With special permission and appropriate chaperones, children younger than 10 are permitted to tour the warehouse or assist with certain off-site special events/projects such as gleanings, food collections, etc.
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 225-359-9940 or email@example.com for more information.
Can my organization volunteer as a group?
- To register with a group, please contact the food bank at 225-359-9940 for a special sign up link.
Can children volunteer?
- The age minimum is 16 years old with or without a guardian for volunteer opportunities at the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank and 18 years old for any off site volunteer opportunities such as mobile distributions.Be sure to check out the top right corner of the volunteer opportunity to verify age limit.
What should I wear?
- Closed-toe shoes are MANDATORY, preferably sneakers.
- Loose comfortable clothing (our warehouse is not climate controlled; therefore, be mindful of the weather conditions)
What should I bring with me?
- No, you do not need to bring anything with you.
- Please leave valuables, purses or backpacks in your vehicle for your safety and security. The Food Bank is not responsible for lost and/or stolen items brought into our facilities.
What time do I need to arrive?
- Please arrive promptly at the start of your volunteer shift.
What do I do once I arrive at the Food Bank?
- Please check in at the front desk and the Volunteer Coordinator will direct you to the volunteer areas.
What do I do if I cannot make my volunteer shift?
- If you cannot attend your volunteer shift, call 225-359-9940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance.
Can I volunteer for community service hours for my school, church, etc?
- Our Volunteer Coordinator will be able to sign documentation showing your volunteer activity.
Can I volunteer for court-ordered community service hours?
- For court-ordered community service, please call the Food bank before volunteering for verification at 225-359-9940. Be sure to bring court papers and your ID to your volunteer shift.