Food Drive Registration
Thank you for joining us in the fight against hunger! A food drive can be hosted year-round and can be customized to fit your organization, school group, family, etc. Your efforts make a difference in the variety of foods the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank can provide for those in the 11 parishes we serve. Food drives, accompanied by a funds drive, are a great way to increase the supply of food and resources to neighbors in need. Find our most needed items here.
Interested in hosting a fund drive to accompany your food drive? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name of event, organization name, and organization logo (if applicable).
Drop-off policy: You can drop off food donations at our warehouse located at 10600 S. Choctaw Dr. Baton Rouge, LA 70815, 8:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Pick-up policy: If you are donating more than two full bins, you can contact us to schedule a pick-up by one of our trucks.
Tips for a Successful Food Drive
- Location is everything. Consider a location that will be most visible – schools, grocery stores, gyms, libraries, offices, etc.
- Pick a theme! A sure way to get people excited about your food drive is to ask them for items related to a specific topic. See below for creative theme ideas.
- Make it a competition between classrooms, departments, or teams to see who raises the most. Give the winning team an incentive such as a pizza party, casual dress day, gift certificates donated by local businesses, and so on…
- Spread the word! Ask friends and family to donate, reach out to local businesses, hang posters and flyers, and share on social media.
- And last but certainly not least: THANK everyone who donated and announce how much food was collected. Take a photo and celebrate!
Creative Themes for Food Drives
- Fill a playpen with infant formula on Monday, collect canned tuna on Tuesday, plant a “garden” with canned vegetables on Wednesday, etc.
- Can the Principal/Boss – fill the Principal or Boss’ office with cans of food.
- Event Ticket – reduce the price of admission for each can or box donated.
- Bake Sale/Car Wash – a can buys a baked good or a bag of food buys a car wash.
- Build a Food Sculpture – Mountain of Macaroni & Cheese, Tower of Tuna, Pile of Peanut Butter, etc.
- Meat the Need – collect canned meats.
- Souper Bowl – collect donated soup before the Super Bowl.
- Penny Drive – every penny counts with proceeds donated to the Food Bank to purchase food at wholesale price.
- Hunger Doesn’t Take a Summer Vacation – collect breakfast and lunch items before the school year ends.
- Winter Warm-Up – collect items such as stew, soup, hot cocoa, etc.